Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dont Underestimate the Power of Hair

OHHHH EMMM GEEEE!

So I've just discovered the sercret to unblocking the spiritual and mental clogs at the root of your creativity ruts, physical fatigue, mental slowdowns and that are overall holding you back!!!

Take GREAT care of your hair....no like, really.

It sounds simple. It sounds silly, but its absolutely true. OK so maybe taking care of one's crown and glory has to be done in tandem with other important things to experience full results, but let's not underestimate the power of our hair.

I say this because I JUST recently started my locs (I'm embarking on my loc journey!!). Prior to my locs, I've always had a lot of hair. I went totally natural in 12th grade, and that summer is when i decided to wear my scarf officially. I guess that combination resulted in a lackluster A.T. towards my hair. (Ironiccally, in h.s. i was obsessed with the appearance of my hair--truly the other extreme). As an Au Natural, people might ask me, "what do you do for your hair to keep it so full?", and I'd be thinking "nothin :/"  I kept it clean, semi-moisturized (I didn't even moisturize as much as I probably should have), sometimes braided, sometimes bumped, occasionally a color here and there, but thats about it. (That actually sounds like a lot--I assure you it wasn't. No matter how much I wish I WERE in this moment, I simply was NOT that fly sista always in the salon or with a new hairstyle everyother week!)

But, as y'all well know, change happens. Right in line with my enhanced awarenee and expression of my womanlyhoodness (lol! like why I started this blog)...I knew i had to do SOMETHING for, with, to my hair, and that it needed to be nurtured and cared for on a regular consistent basis. Flash forward---> I got twisties last Sunday to start my locs.






Like honestly, I woke up the next day a different person....hella weird. I felt clear, I felt strong, I felt powerful, I felt like "I'm owning this!!"..."this" being my life, my temple, my destiny. I feel womanly, I feel sexy, I feel fierce, I feel RENEWED, I feel like there's less in the way between me and peace...Something about cultivation of the hair communicates cultivation for the soul, in such a major way...and I think that's why, as we can see in the movie "Good Hair", a sista's hairdo is such a big deal. So anyway I think great hair care has several facets--hair should be healthy, clean, moisturized, styled (take the time to see what it wants to say to you and the world each day--or most days, you're allowed a day or two of "hell, who cares"...lol), and most important....it must be loved!

6 comments:

  1. MashaAllah, I love it!! And I love those blue and white earrings...Need those in my life. I've always admired locs, but never had the guts to get them. I feel like it's a big commitment, that I don't think im ready for. Every time I twist my hair I take them down the mext day so I don't think me and locs would be a good combo right now, but the beginning stages look great on you so I can only imagine when they're fully grown. love it!! Keep shinin sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much love! I was telling a sister today--I understand the caution because of the permanancy of locs--ironically, this is an aspect that drew me in--because I feel like I'll have a set style for awhile--i want to wear them in diverse ways, etc, etc. but for some reason the permanancy appealed to me...plus I fell in love w. the look and feel...in any event,I love that we choose to express hair in different ways...I truly appreciate your comments and feedback!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. um... so how does this translate to fades, tapers, and caesars????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace&Love, Sis, You are completely correct! Our head/crown is the entrance and exit of much physical and spiritual energy. It is a source of light or doom! Literally. Our hair is also a source of our esteem - every time we look in the mirror we either like or don't like what we see and we inherit feelings about ourselves based on the visual. WHen I started my locs it was apart of a spiritual journey. It was an aspect of sacrifice, of letting go of vanity and of giving up such a fleeting part of myself that took too much time to manage when that time could be put into my Spiritual self. Not to mention that it made my life much easier!! It was also a way of marking the time when I first started a relationship with my husband, who was a part of this next level of Spiritual development that I was embarking on. So many have turned locs into a commercial product. Of course, it is a way of us embracing our natural selves AND with locs sistas would be surprised at how quickly our hair grows and florishes in this state. If I could make a mandate on locs I would require that everyone who started them do a Spiritual cleanse and reevaluation before during and consciously afterward.

    It is so much more than a hairstyle and I'm so glad that you've have embraced this truth. You look Divine! Continue forward my Sista. I am blessed to be apart of your life. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im jussst now seeing this--talk about laate! (Better late than never they say)...wow its beeen over a year (maybe almost two) since I've been on this blog and I feel like this was a lifetime ago, it was ;)...Thank you Sis. Nusaiba--your words are soul refreshing like water is to the body. Thank you for teaching :)

    Interesting, though I love them, I have been thinking of taking my locs down because I do feel in a different place, cycle. I welcome fresh energy...but I would like to grow them again at some point :) I still haven't decided. Something in me wants to be patient and cultivate something rich and beautiful, and something says "I am not my hair", just because these locs started when I was in a different cycle doesnt mean it defnes them...can we tranform the energy they carry if we transform? Just thoughts...

    One thing I'm proud to say is I've started maintaining them myself totally, doing the retwists, washing, conditionings and play/styling and I love having control over the process. I think theres something personal, intimate and special about that.

    ReplyDelete