Wednesday, July 8, 2009

sisterhood pt. 1

With God's Name

Question: Since when did it become popular to be that "I-don't-really-get-along-w.-other-females " sista?
This must be one of the most oft-repeated phrases I hear from young ladies (and sometimes older ones too), and it's always interesting when I hear it. 'cause its said with an air of "this makes me kinda cool", "this makes me dfferent", "this makes me edgy"....But I always just walk away feeling sad that its become the cool thing to not like other woman, not feel the need to address an obvious imbalance in the harmony-equation , and instead, actually be proud of the circumstance. Something that should be viewed as an obstacle or challenge with an attainable resolution, is tossed around casually as if to earn bragging rights...hmmm, interesting indeed.

I think the most profound changes take place when we examine our mental frameworks (the thoughts, feeling and attitudes that shape our patterns), reassess if they are actually healthy and true, and consciously make the necessary shifts (replacing ill, non-productive thoughts with positive, true, productive ones). And paying attention to the subtle, silent killers--like nonchalance, apathy, or arrogance--makes all the difference. Since when did we NOT CARE about the negative state of any type of relationshp, let alone that of our sisters--our gender buddies. The entity that effortlessly shares collective stories and secrets that can only be known and felt by another real deal girl :-) Ya know--like that moment you crossed the threshhold from the courtyard of girldom to the palace of womanhood. Or how about how it felt to be kissed by your special guy for the first time ? How can you downplay and forfeit all these special, estrogen-ridden experiences?--Like doing eachother's hair, or swapping jewelry and outfit pieces so yall can look fly for that event no one wants to miss!, or talking for hours about love and hopes and dreams, or learning those crazy dance moves from the latest music video, or just actin silly, or being that shoulder and tissue-hander when boy problems show their inevitable face. It just wouldn't be right. It's too much fun you'd miss. Too much love you wouldn't get (that rhymed:) ) and it it just wouldn't fit (ha!)

Seriosly though, let's not let what's feels cute at the moment, destroy our blessings and God-given connections. Everything has a purpose and has it's place. Now, instead of shrugging off the difficulties that can come w. interacting with women, why don't we take the pro-active approach and try and get to the bottom of it, and in process heal ourselves and our relatioships...more on that to come....

4 comments:

  1. wow mina...that was powerful, i like it alot...made me think and apprciate the bond btwn sisters....i bare witness that it produces a stronger society and community and we all reap the benefits....good lookin homegirl for writin this....love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you 2, and thank you for your feedback. Glad I could give you a lil light into the lives of sistas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis, this is an ESSENTIAL topic. I'll never forget when I trained and went through my rites of passage with the infamous Queen Afua. If a Sista even uttered anything like "I don't get along with other females"...she had better be ready to CRY. Not out of being attacked by the group, but because we all would actively coax the sista to find the root of that phrase...that emotion. It all leads back to exactly what you've said unbalanced emotion, a lack of love and innerstanding of self and of those who are a direct reflection of our selves...those of the same gender. I truly believe that this is one of the biggest tricks of the shatan. To keep women ununited so that our communities, families and selves will be in disaray. Where I am at now in my life I have the highest respect and admiration for my Sistas...it is becuase I've learned to have a high respect and admiration for myself! All things interconnected. Can I feature this peice in my Summer newsletter? Pleazzzz... :) Much Love for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Legacy! of course you can--and you're 100% right--cause going back to know seeing ourselves in our true light and loving that. I'd like to talk to you more about this...and some other things too.

    ReplyDelete