Friday, July 10, 2009

What's your DIVA?!

DIVA!

I never really took to this word. I've always seen a "Diva" as someone full on themselves, lots of A.T., not a lot of humility....But today, all of a sudden, I started feeling differently...(an aha! moment?)....maybe Diva can be that aspect of WOMAN that fiercely loves herself....is unchanging and essential. The part thats been around for decades and effortlessly "knows" and sparkles luminously. She enables you--to be cute. and fun! a lil spunky. creative. spontaneous. and dramatically feminine....

Sooo, then I do a lil research, and the dictionary tells us that Diva means "a female version of a hustla"......sike! ;P It says "distinguished singer" or "prima donna." (Right, right.) Buuut, the word comes from Latin and has roots in Italian as well. In Italian, diva means "goddess, fine lady." In Latin it means "goddess" and was the feminine of "divus", which meant "divine." Whenever I read or hear "goddess" or "divine woman", I like to think: The woman that is in love with her true essence (and all that gives it expression)...and very much connected w. the spirit of God which works through her! She does indeed, love herself.

So---I definietly think Ms. diva has her place in personality. But naturally, she must be kept in check :) Reigned in with the knowledge that--every female has one. As a matter of fact, every diva is a part of a larger undivided Association of Divas! So--no 1 diva better than the next!

;-)

What does your diva share and express?

3 comments:

  1. Salaams! Haha! Love the way you broke that down, Sis. Research and all...love my sistas. The pop section of society has us putting negative connotations on words that could possibly be positive. I actually never really adhered to the word Diva either...I, too, thought about it as a Sista who is full of herself...BUT now with your new found research :) I have a new innerstanding. I would say my Diva is the traditional meaning of the word: a distinguished singer or the latin version "divine". I am a bit of a different person on and off stage...unless I'm with a very familiar group of people. I'd say my "Diva" comes out when I"m in the spot light...on stage...there is my time to show the world..the audience my natural feminine essence. Thanks for this...I still won't call myself a Diva...I'll stick to Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Nusaiba, about how you define your diva...I like that. I do love your stage presence, feminine and graceful, poice and very strong, all in the same breath, beautiful and divinely-inspired indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and very much connected w. the spirit of God which works through her!"

    Yess!! Based on this I would say G-d works through us at all times. . .I think others see it most when I'm in the classroom (teaching), or working with the youth in our community. These are things I feel I have a special gift for.

    I love how you researched it though. We live in a language environment and it's important for us to define these 'pop-culture' words, and not let them define us. . .although I would agree that I'm a female version of a hustla. .of a of a hustla. .legally and Islamically of course ;)LOL.

    I'm enjoying your blog sis! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete